Words and Works by Artist Barb Hunt

Root Dress by Barb Hunt

There are close ties between Newfoundland and the islands of Ireland and England, and as a descendant of Irish/English pioneers, I was taught some of the textile skills expected of women. 


Shroud by Barb Hunt

Living in Newfoundland with its rich tradition of textile practices has inspired me to return to these processes and materials in my art and research. 


IED by Barb Hunt
My previous work focussed on the rituals of death and mourning, particularly those of Newfoundland. The repetitive nature of textile work seems to be a common way of coping with grief and loss, and this becomes a metaphor for protection and healing. 


Incarnate by Barb Hunt

More recently I have been working with camouflage fabric and used army fatigues to make statements about the devastation of war.

The Old Lie by Barb Hunt

In my art practice, I attempt to mend separations, and to reveal and recuperate the "feminine" which historically has been discredited.

By giving value to the humble, the discarded and the hand-made, I hope to recover lost histories and encourage the re-consideration of traditional rituals within a contemporary context.

This is a work that I'm doing now,
embroidering bits of feminist text onto vintage aprons.



Popular Posts