A Year with Frog and Toad Too

The Christmas cheer continues in Halifax this holiday season with Neptune Theatre’s festive and fun family production of A Year with Frog and Toad. Recently we spoke with actor Shane Carty about the show.

What are your own roots?
I was born in Kingston, Ontario.  My father came from the Irish, though his family had been in Canada for several generations. My mother was born in England, but raised in Montreal and Newfoundland.

How long have you been involved in theatre, and in what capacity?
I've been acting since high school and I've been doing it for a living for about 20 years now.

How did you get involved with this particular production?
I've worked with George Pothitos (our director and Artistic Director of Neptune) before, several times.  He contacted me and offered me the opportunity to be in the show. 

What are the challenges involved?
The show is challenging for its pace.  It moves very quickly.  Each scene is a new story, in a new setting, so the challenge is to stay ahead of it and find the right tone before the runaway train gets ahead of you. 

What are the rewards?
It's hugely rewarding to have an audience.  With any luck, we make them laugh.  That's the best reward of all with a show like this one.

What can audiences expect during the run?
I think audiences should expect a great deal of fun.  The script is very accessible for kids, but the humour is squarely aimed at grownups.  It's very well-crafted comic writing, so I think audiences should really expect to have a fast-paced good time.

What are your thoughts on the state of theatre in Canada?
I think theatre in Canada is thriving. There are always challenges, but I travel a lot in this career and I see fascinating theatre happening all over the country.  It's amazing how dedicated theatre artists are all over Canada.  
What's next on your creative agenda?
I'm doing a production of Stephen Sondheim's Sunday In The Park With George after we're finished here, and then I head back to the Stratford Festival for another season in the acting company there.

A Year with Frog and Toad
Until January 3, 2016
Neptune Theatre, Halifax
www.neptunetheatre.com

Popular Posts