Atlantic Fringe Fest: Wave On, Ocean Blue & Funny, Daddy

If you haven’t left town for the long weekend, you’ll be happy to know that in Halifax a footlights-filled weekend awaits you. Today through holiday Monday, Atlantic Fringe Festival performances take the stage all afternoon and evening. And if you are away, you can still get your Fringe Fix next week until September 8th!

Two of the productions that open today are Wave On, Ocean Blue (2:45pm at the Museum of Natural History) and Funny, Daddy (7pm at Neptune Studio).


Wave On, Ocean Blue

Last year, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia’s Kenzie Delo made his Atlantic Fringe debut with his play If We Were More. The actor, playwright, Busker and Halifax Citadel interpreter returns to the festival with his heated fishing village drama, Wave On, Ocean Blue.






Tell us a little bit about your background in theatre/performance/writing.
KD: I've been acting since grade 7, when I starred in a middle school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The role of Puck was split between me and 5 other people, which was clearly enough to make me want to do more performance. I kept with it, and now I write, direct, and act.

What inspired you to write Wave On, Ocean Blue?
KD: I've always been a huge fan of the atmosphere of small shanty towns on the east coast. As a child, my family and I would often go to Peggy's Cove and Fisherman's Cove, and we made a lot of summer trips to P.E.I., and the feeling of being there, in the Maritimes, has always made me feel at home.

In a nutshell what is Wave On, Ocean Blue about?
KD: Gary Sharpe and Mickey MacTavish live in a small fishing community which hugs the Eastern North American coastline during the mid-1930s. They, and their wives, live a fairly routine life. While their husbands fish, the wives, Gabby and Mary, clean and socialize. The routine gets given what for, however, when Drew comes into town. Drew is a city boy who wastes no time in causing a ruckus, made all the worse by a storm that Gary and Mickey wonder if they can brave.

What do you envision audience members will take away from the performances?
KD: Ideally, people will get a sense of the importance of loyalty and of a bit of tradition from this show. If I had to pick one thing, though, I would want people to feel that sense of how unique it is to live on the edge of the ocean. It really is something special.

What are you looking forward to at this year's Fringe Fest?
KD: Well, my brother has a show in the Festival, as well. It's called Monument Valley, and it's looking awfully good. It's also just really amazing to be a part of the theatre scene here in Halifax. Being a contributor to the Fringe Festival gives you a real feeling of community.


Wave On, Ocean Blue
SATURDAY, AUG 31 • 2:45pm
SUNDAY, SEPT 1 • 8:00pm
MONDAY, SEPT 2 • 10:45pm
THURSDAY, SEPT 5 • 6:45pm
SATURDAY, SEPT 7 • 9:00pm
SUNDAY, SEPT 8 • 4pm
~Museum of Natural History Project Room


Funny, Daddy

Who’s your daddy? For all things comedy, Lloyd Ravn is! “His material is autobiographical in nature, focusing on his life as a husband, father of three, former chef, and the youngest person named Lloyd most people have ever met,” shares his bio featured on the website for Bay of Funny, a Maritime comedy circuit company he founded. In Funny, Daddy the Sussex, New Brunswick native will be sharing stories of fatherhood in his lively gut-busting style, while weaving in a more serious side that’s sure to pull at the heart strings. The Canada’s Next Top Comic finalist (2011), stand-up comedian and radio host has one goal in mind—to remind us to find the funny during the most painful moments of life.

What got you into stand-up comedy and then founding Bay of Funny?
LR: I've been performing standup since 2006, when I hit my first open mic in Toronto. It was a lifetime dream, ever since I first saw Howie Mandel on the Alan Thicke show in 1982 (I was 10). It took a while to get up the courage to do it, but as soon as I did, I was hooked. My family and I moved home to Sussex NB in 2010 and I realized there is a demand for standup in this region and very little supply outside of the main cities, so I came up with the idea of starting a circuit around the Maritimes. This past October I was caught up in a mass layoff at work and decided to register the Bay of Funny business name and see if I could make a go of it! So far, so good!

In a nutshell what does Funny, Daddy entail?
LR: Funny, Daddy is the story of how I've discovered, through my time as a parent, the therapeutic power of laughter. It's a mix of my standup material alongside some more serious stories including the story of the time my son spent as an inpatient at the IWK in Halifax. I learned a lot from the doctors, nurses and therapists there about the importance of finding funny things when there's nothing funny going on. It's a "you'll laugh, you'll cry" kind of show.

What do you envision audience members will take away from the performances?
LR: Hopefully sore cheeks, and a reminder of the importance of having a laugh even when things look bleak…especially when things look bleak.

What are you looking forward to at this year's Fringe Fest?
LR: I love Halifax audiences. And I just finished my first fringe experience at Fundy Fringe in Saint John where I got hooked on Fringing! 

How do you come up with your funny material?
LR: Everything in this show is at least based on fact. Maybe the punch lines stray from the facts a bit but for the most part these things just happened and I wrote them down.
I talk a lot in Funny, Daddy about finding funny where there isn't anything funny happening. My Dad was really good at that and I've tried to carry that on so I think it all stems back to my Dad, who plays a key role in the Funny, Daddy story.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gifFunny, Daddy
SATURDAY, AUG 31 • 7pm
SUNDAY, SEPT 1 • 6:45pm
SUNDAY, SEPT 8 • 3pm
Neptune Studio

Popular Posts