Dangerous Beginnings

Drawing upon her time and experiences both here at home and in Mexico, Nova Scotia author Barbara McKinley Morrison has penned her first novel, Dangerous Beginnings. Recently we spoke with her about her literary debut.

What inspired you to write this story?
I had a dream. A dream of writing a book. From that dream came the outline and characters for the story. I started writing it, rather typing it, as soon as I awoke. During my husband's illness, when money was running low, I decided to purchase lower priced online prescription drugs, vitamins and supplies. My doctor advised me not to as the quality was not there. I guess it's the old saying, you get what you pay for. 

Did it come together quickly or did you really need to work at it?
Once the research was done and my characters found their personalities, the story itself came together rather quickly.

What was the most challenging aspect of the process?
The difficult part of writing the story was not the writing. Researching and reading the illegal pharmaceutical drug trade articles by IMPACT, RCMP, and Interpol was challenging. The long hours spent picking them apart for relevant information was the most difficult.   

What was the most rewarding part of the experience?
I found a confidence in myself that enabled me to accomplish a dream.

What did you learn during the process?
Most of my school learning in English grammar had disappeared sometime during the past fifty years. Seriously though, I found this criminal activity to be atrocious, raking in many billions of dollars for the criminals, and the public not being kept informed by the agencies fighting it. 

How did you feel when the book was completed?
Lost and lonely. It was though my friends, Susan, Rat, Miguel, and their friends had left me.

What has the response been like so far from those that have read it?
The comments have brought happiness, joy, and satisfaction. The readers befriended the characters and want to go along on more adventures with them.

What's next on your creative agenda?
I do have an outline for my next novel. We'll see a more mature Rat as he prepares for university, still involving Susan and Miguel in dangerous situations and murder. The research will start in November and the writing continue for about year. November will be busy with book signings in Bucerias and The World International Book Fair in Guadalajara, Mexico from the 29th of November until the 3rd of December. I'm looking forward to this with excitement as I will be attending.  



Popular Posts